Sunday, May 16, 2010

bathroom: subway tiles

I've been through a few bathroom inspirations, but one I keep coming back to that melds the old and the new, the vintage and the modern, is the classic subway tile, or, at it is more usually called locally, the butcher tile.

Right now I'm thinking I'd love it in grey - white being too predictable for bathrooms, black possibly being too overpowering.

Currently the bathroom (which is to be completely re-done) has tiles to head height. The de-tiled walls will therefore be pretty rough. I'm not sure if re-tiling to the same height will require a replaster. If not, I'll probably retile to that height ($$ permitting), or possibly go for a roughened dark grey concrete look in paint. If replastering is required to tile anyway, well, I might just go to waist height or ankle height trim with the tiles. I won't know until I get in there so for now I'm free to dream away with any look!

All of these grey tiles are lovely, some are ceramic and some are glass:









[image: possibly from a PotteryBarn catalogue]


These are white subway tiles, but the grey wall looks amazing next to them..




Below are black butcher tiles, looking good. Love the Florence Broadhurst paper above them. The black and white floor titles are another feature I'm very enamoured by, so this picture is very valuable. The frameless shower screen adds a juxtaposing modern element. Of note here is also that there is a white border between the floor and the wall tiles. It really helps to break up the black and is duly noted.


[image: from http://www.gregnatale.com/ (warning Flash site, urg).]


Lastly, another subway tile + black and white checkered floor, showing both horizontal and vertical tile patterns. I like horizontal. The tiles here have too much colour for my house palette but you get the idea. Again, the white border at the floor.



[image matched to: http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/9/2007/07/smallish_xPicture%207wtmk.jpg]

No comments:

Post a Comment